January 17, 2012

Cultivating Contentment



The word "consumption" has been in my mind for awhile now. I recently read this article in The New York Times about a couple who decided to live on a total of 100 items.

So it got me thinking about my own relationship with "stuff".

When my husband and I moved into our apartment, we lugged all of these boxes of "stuff". I looked at Mike and said, "What exatly is it that we are carrying"? How much could two people actually need? Moving all these items got me into downsizing. It makes me feel clutter free and much more calmer when you eliminate things you don't need anymore. I'm hoping it will be much easier to get the home organized as we grow our family too!

Here are some new tips for myself:

1. If I haven't worn it in a year - donate it. Give it a new home for someone to love.

2. How many cups, plates and utensils do two people need? I think we had 70 cups when we moved in. GOODBYE! Take a look around your kitchen and see what you can eliminate.

3. Use the food in the pantry. Instead of buying more things to shove in the back of the cupboard, I bring out the food processor and crock pot and make delicious warm soups. I also recently learned how to make homemade bread and hummus for my sides!

4. Give experiences! Last year, Mike gave me the gift of a letterpress class in Brooklyn for my birthday when I was exploring printing techniques. It was thrilling and I LOVED every minute of it.

It's empowering in a way and I strive everyday now for those little moments. I've reazlied as I've gotten older a blanket, my husband and a movie can make for the best night ever!

P.S. Now if I could only stop my shoe collection from growing :)

-B

1 comment:

  1. I've been wanting to do this for some time. I have to definitely minimize my collection of action figures and DVD's - which is my biggest issue. Those things after all these moves are getting ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete