August 19, 2012

If You Can Dream It, You Can Do It

A few days ago, I went to Anthropologie looking for a new pair of jeans for the Fall.  I was browsing the tables when I came across a book titled "It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want To Be," by Paul Arden. I was drawn in by the message and great minimalist cover. I opened the book to a random page and read:

'Fail, Fail Again. Fail Better.' - Samuel Beckett



Wow, such a powerful line! This really struck a chord with me. We all want to be successful, but I think we have to make mistakes and sometimes fail on our way to be the person we envision. Failure can be uncomfortable topic to discuss, but it's hard to find a successful entrepreneur who hasn't made mistakes along the way. For example, we associate Walt Disney with success for turning a cartoon mouse into a household name, bringing magic to the movies, and building Disneyland. But, did you know when he was 22, he declared bankruptcy after his first animation business, Laugh-O-Gram went broke? After his setbacks, he created Mickey Mouse, and the rest is history.

 “How many people are completely successful in every department of life? Not one. The most successful people are the ones who learn from their mistakes and turn their failures into opportunities.” – Zig Ziglar


I don't know where my business will be one year from today, but I am proud of what I'm doing and enjoying every moment of the process. What you're doing at the moment is enough. Don't lose sight of where you want to be by only focussing on where you are now. Even if you're working full-time right now and pursuing your dreams when the sun goes down, more power to you! This will become an amazing trial and error phase as you continue to develop. You will only keep growing…


-BL

No comments:

Post a Comment