August 23, 2012

Life is Pure Adventure


Yesterday morning, I was pouring my OJ while Good Morning America was on TV. Normally, I just have the news on as background noise, but Robin Roberts caught my attention with the story about Diana Nyad, a 62-year-old woman who attempted to swim 103 miles from Cuba to Florida. I'm sure by now, you have heard her fascinating tale too. I admire her persistence and her attitude. She will not give up even when she's literally in the stormiest sea (not to mention the sharks and jellyfish stings)!

Even though she didn't achieve her goal, she said something during the interview that changed my perspective today. "Life is a journey, not a destination". I realized that I'm guilty of thinking about the future too much. I'm taking my stationery business full-time this fall, after daydreaming and planning over the past few years. I've been focussing on the destination, but I don't want to miss the opportunity to seize the day. A walk on the shore, a yummy bubble tea treat and an evening sail are moments and memories that I cherish. I'm not looking for the finish line anytime soon. If I keep worrying how the journey will end, I can miss the simple pleasures that we experience each day. I've planted the seed and now I'm watching my dreams grow. Life isn't A-Z. 




-BL


No comments:

Post a Comment